Wednesday 14 December 2011

2/5 Trees!

My second cross stitch :) This one called for the theme "Trees" for this post. The pattern said to leave the right of the tree cut off i'm not sure if I like it.
Ok my first picture for the theme "trees" is a tree house from the wonderful disney movie "Swiss Family Robinson"
This film is one of my all time favourite childhood films! I've read the book and its as equally good =] The story is about a family of 5 (in the books its 6) journeying across the seas to New Guinea to start up a new life there. unfortunately a huge storm hits them when they are at sea and they find themselves stranded with no crew on board. they make a raft and make it to the nearby Island. The film is so funny and sweet! i love the tree house the father and 3 sons make, its so inventive!
The bark of trees is always a great source of inspiration for textile surfaces:



From "Stitch" magazine.


From magazine Selvedge

Bark Bag

Student's work from Leeds University, they wove twigs into their fabrics - reminds me of my friends weaving she did for our concrete project last semester, she wove thick twigs into her fabric to give texture to transfer into the concrete.
I think this Robbins nest by Debbie Babin is so sweet!

I'd better add in my favourite songs about trees - 'cos i'm sad like that :P
  • Eva Cassidy/Katie Melua - "What a wonderful world" -  I see trees of green red roses too <3
  • The Corrs - "Time enough for tears" - Lets read the trees in their autumn leaves <3
  • Taylor Swift "Mary's song" - Take me back to the house in that backyard tree<3
  • Taylor Swift "Best day" - I don't know why all the trees change in the fall <3
  • Runrig "Skye" - Wild geese flow over your shores. Hearts sailing over the trees <3
  • Runrig "Amazing things" - and the masters of flattery, colour the trees, they walk on the oceans, put the town under seige <3
  • Rush - "The Trees" - there is unrest in the forest, there is trouble with the trees <3
  • Shania Twain "When" - When money grows on trees <3
Ok ok! you've caught me the songs aren't really ALL to do with trees, but its funny how they crop up in any song, they are a big part in our lives but we sometimes forget to notice them.
Finally I will leave you this picture, I get reminded of it whenever i walk home at night and there are branches reaching out above me...
In Beauty and the Beast, Philippe takes Papa to the fair and gets lost, he looks up at the foreboding forest, check it out here at 11:43mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment